How to find Italian records online?
We will now see a list of resources that allow you to locate online records, that is, Italian birth records for free, whether they are records from parishes or civil registries in the form of images or transcriptions in the form of lists. In Italian birth records, you will find information about your ancestor’s parents.
Italian records for legal procedures
If we need an Italian document with a legal signature for a procedure (for example: Italian citizenship), we will have to request that document from the Italian communes or parishes, depending on the time.
It is necessary to keep in mind that:
- Birth, marriage, and death records from Italian civil registries are managed in the civil registries of the comuni (municipalities), which are generally free or require a minimal cost for shipping and certification.
- The start date of civil registries in Italy varies by region.
- For periods when civil registries did not exist, we will need to approach the parishes.
- Asking for vital records to the Italian Registrar of Vital Statistics
- In some cases, we may need to consider paying for a service to process the specific record we need.
Italian birth, marriage, and death records for free
But, if our interest is purely genealogical, the digitized image of the record is enough.
Also keep in mind that:
- Italian civil registry records can be consulted online on FamilySearch and on the Portale Antenati, where you can download digital copies of records for free (Italian records without certification, of course). Please note that this work is still in progress.
- There are databases of births from some provinces such as Udine and Trento.
- Volunteer projects like GeneaIndex and Italian Parish Records can be consulted.
Online Italian records: list of municipalities or provinces
On our website, we provide a list that includes information on:
- Dioceses and/or parishes that have made their records or indexes of their records available online to facilitate searches by interested parties.
- Digitizations carried out by archives before the creation of the Portale Antenati.
- Associations of volunteers or individuals who extract data from collections of parish and civil records and place them on the internet, making them available for consultation by interested parties.