Each Port A Unique Experience
Immigration became a competitive trade among shipping lines and port cities vied for top ranked spots in immigrant entry. Ports attracted different immigrant populations based on their industries and partnerships with railroads and shipping companies.
Port of Naples – People with Migrating Restrictions.
Italian Passengers Lists – Lists of Italian Immigrants
Bank of Napoli – Italian Immigrants who sent money to Italy via the Bank of Naples.
The Questura is the General Headquarter of the Internal Police which controls every passport in every Italian province.
English ports of departure – A large number of Italian immigrants left for the Americas from French and English ports for various reasons.
Italian immigration ports of departure – Genoa, Napoli and from other European harbors.
Beginning in 1820, the US government required ship captains to submit a passenger list or manifest for passengers brought aboard at any foreign port and arriving in a US port. The National Archives holds the lists in microfilm and original form. The National Archives maintain the lists on microfilm and in original form; many of these documents were digitized and can be viewed online at Ancestry or FamilySearch.
To find your immigrant ancestors who made their way to America through ports other than New York, you can consult:
- Italians arrived to New York – The passenger lists of the ships that arrived in New York.
- Other possible gateways to America
- Major U.S. Immigration Ports – Plus tips for locating your ancestors in arrival records
- Italian Immigration Destionations to America – to Australia – in the United Kingdom.
- Departure Records – From Europe to America
- European ports of departure – For immigrants
- European Immigration Records – Two types of emigration records
- The immigration travel route – What route was followed more frequently by ships transporting immigrants?
- German Immigrants – Passenger Departure Lists
- Spanish Immigrants – Emigration from Spain to Latin America 1500s-1700s
- Ship passenger arrival records – To South America
- Ship Passenger Lists and Other Online Immigration Records
- Ships – Search for a ship
- Navigazione Generale Italiana Line – History of the Navigazione Generale Italiana Line, its routes and a list of its fleets.
- Stowaways: a genealogical myth – by Pablo Briand – When references about the first arrival of an ancestor are not found, families use to transform this fact in “stowaway arrived in a ship”.
- The Immigration Experience