Italian Passengers Lists
List of Italian immigrants in America, Europe and other countries
United States Italians to America Index, 1855-1900 – Data files relating to the immigration of Italians to the United States for arrivals 1855-1900. Created by the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies, Center for Immigration Research. In August of 2013, the National Archives replaced the ARC – Archival Research Catalog – with the OPA – Online Public Access. ARC identifiers will still work to access the collections in OPA.
The Immigrant Ancestors Project
The Immigrant Ancestors Project, sponsored by the Center for Family History and Genealogy at Brigham Young University, uses emigration registers to locate information about the birthplaces of immigrants in their native countries, since this information is often omitted in many port records and naturalization documents of the destination countries.
Currently the project is focusing on immigrants from France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, and the United Kingdom. Volunteers working with scholars and researchers at Brigham Young University are creating a database of millions of immigrants based on these emigration registers.
Currently, we can consult these records:
|Name||Number of Records|
|Napoli Illegal Emigration||3,301|
|Napoli Passport Requests 1888-1901||800|
|Prefecture of Genoa 1858-1872||9,145|
|Torino Passport Request 1903-1905||10,186|
After Arrival Records
– Italians arrived in New York between 1880 and 1891
– Italian Passengers to Louisiana, 1905-10
– Ships Passenger Lists Italy-NY
– Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild – Naples, Italy
– Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild – Genoa, Italy
– Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild – Palermo and Messina, Sicily
– Italians to America Passenger Data File, 1855-1900 – from the U.S. National Archives.
– Border Crossings from Canada to United States 1895-1956 – This database contains an index of aliens and citizens crossing into the U.S. from Canada via various ports of entry along the U.S.-Canadian border between 1895 and 1956.
– Border crossings from Mexico to United States – Index to records of aliens and citizens crossing into the United States of America from Mexico via various ports of entry along the U.S.-Mexican border between 1903 and 1957. We can find some Italian immigrants –> Italian immigrants
Departure and Pre-Departure Records
– Records of Italian Emigrants in Their Destination Countries
– Emigration from the region of Parma
– Italians emigrated to Alpes Maritimes, France
– Italian emigrants identified in the Alpes de Haute Provence in 1906 – Part 1
– Italian emigrants identified in the Alpes de Haute Provence in 1906 – Part 2
– Emigrés de Gerenzano
– Passenger List of Ship Federico from Genova Italy to Buenos Aires, Argentina 30 March 1961
– Historical Archive of the Bank of Naples (Banco di Napoli) – Italian Immigrants who sent money to Italy via the Bank of Naples
– Belgium, Antwerp Police Immigration Index, 1840-1930 – The dossiers list all aliens living in Antwerp who were registered with the police. Places of origin are included in the indexes beginning in 1886. Many of the foreigners came from the Netherlands, Germany, and Poland. But there were also many Italians, Spanish and South American. Many of these immigrants were only passing through Antwerp, working to raise the money for passage to America. The index was to help find individuals in the dossiers which were created to monitor foreigners living in Antwerp.
– AltreItalie – Find Your Roots – Three databases available on-line, with lists of landing of the Italians in Argentina, Brazil and United States. The Documentation Center on the People and Cultures of Italian Origin in the World, set up by the Giovanni Agnelli Foundation in 1993, offers three separate data banks containing the transcription of the information contained in the passenger lists of the ships that arrived in New York, Buenos Aires and Vitoria (Italian nationals only).